Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Martha

Luke 10:38-42
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:38-42 NIV84)

The last while I've been convicted of my "Martha" moments. You see, I have ways I want to live but I don't always put them into practice. I like to wake up in the am, acknowledge to God that I have my family for another day, wake up rejoicing that I have my family another day. Some mornings I wake up going right into what I think needs to be done without acknowledging, that without God giving me breath I wouldn't have or be doing anything.
The other thing I need to schedule is God time, read the Word and pray, build the relationship so it's not so one-sided (God loves me regardless). I like to do it now when the kiddos nap in the afternoon. Now most days ill get maybe an hour when they're both sleeping, that could be prime time for getting things done.
Running around picking up this and that, dishwasher, dishes, laundry, clean floors, bathroom, dusting, tidy, tidy, tidy. I don't know how mothers with young children do fall and spring cleaning, that completely baffles me.

So some times I get caught up in my Martha moments of running around harried. On top of it, Martha Moments take away from my time with Quinn, to talk or just relax with him, and the time I should take to look just a little attractive (yes, I think it's important for marriage and should trump dusting :).

I guess I need to strongly note the conviction of Martha Moments is there on purpose. Sometimes I'm also reminded of life being short. If my child or husband is not here tomorrow, will it matter that I got the house tidied instead of being with them?

God wants my time, he longs for me. Sometimes i have that longing to be with people, socializing, I think I'm sometimes masking it for what could be much more fulfilling. Don't get me wrong, us emotional filled women need that at times.
Psalm 119:33-40
Teach me, O Lord, to follow your decrees;
then I will keep them to the end.
Give me understanding, and I will keep your law
and obey it with all my heart.
Direct me in the path of your commands,
for there I find delight.
Turn my heart toward your statutes
and not toward selfish gain.
Turn my eyes away from worthless things;
preserve my life according to your word.
Fulfill your promise to your servant,
so that you may be feared.
Take away the disgrace I dread,
for your laws are good.
How I long for your precepts!
Preserve my life in your righteousness.

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Great post. Great reminder. :)