Thursday, December 13, 2007

Headlines

News Headlines for Thursday, December 13th, 2007
At my work, I take a few minutes to read the paper or the online version of it. If anyone knows me-bit of a news junkie, more so the international news. I know there may be more to the stories than simply going by what the headline suggests...however, I was shaking my head over a few of these...

Some headlines that got me this morning were:

Sharing??? It's OK to do crack, just don't share the pipe? What?

Why is this even making the news, I'd be embarrassed if I was the editor of the Globe and Mail and this was taking up space in my paper.

Again, why is this taking up space on the home page? I guess it is a statistic, a sad reality. Holidays, pressure, strain on marriages. This morning I was listening to the radio and they were talking about finding 'the perfect gift' and if you don't find the perfect gift, you found a crappy gift and your recipient may have to put on a 'This is great, Thank You', when they don't really mean it. The announcers were serious about this, I felt like phoning in and ranting about this 'perfect gift' phrase everyone throws around at Christmas. If you can't find the 'perfect' gift, don't buy a gift and don't stress about buying a gift. That's my logic. Last year I didn't do gifts for my siblings because I didn't know what to get anyone, I was at a loss. Instead I bought some chickens for some kids in another country. This year is a little different, ideas are just popping into my head and I'm going with it (might still buy some chickens too).

I actually read this story yesterday, but it's still on the website. This dutch diplomat who lives in Hong Kong, he and his wife adopt this girl b/c they could not have kids of their own. Well, they find out later they could and had 2 of their own. So now they told the agency this girl just isn't working for their family so they hand her back and now they (social services) need to find a new family for this girl. She can't go back to Korea, because she doesn't know Korean, only Mandarin and English. 7 years old and your family gets pulled out from under you. Probably for the best then, I'm sure Someone has other, grander plans for her life...

I love how the government, defence dept. or the UN can put time lines on support. Even if they keep the base 'til 2015, they've talked about the troops pulling out before then. It might be good to have a 2 year plan going in, gives them guidelines for budgets, planning projects, etc. But there is no real way to know what could happen between now and 2015, they don't know what the Taliban has up their sleeve. Whether or not I'm for war, I feel that Afghanistan is one place Canada should be. I prefer the peacekeeping roles over 'war', but feel that Bin Laden needs to be caught and prosecuted, therefore some necessary measures have to be taken. Although I take comfort in this quote from the same story...
"Mr. Bernier emphasized that the Conservatives don't believe that Canada "should simply abandon the Afghans in 2009.""
Sounds great...Now they're talking sense as long as they stick with it and don't change their mind when it comes to election time.

2 comments:

T and C said...

Crack pipe sharing makes it, but the Denver shooting isn't even mentioned? Yeah, that is sad.

Tiffany said...

It would definitely be tough having to choose what goes on the front page, but I guess as the editor of the paper it's their job to give a snapshot of the different areas of news, not just the really super important stuff, bc many different types of people read the paper, and that's what makes sales, and that's what keeps the paper moving in the first place. And it's interesting to see what kind of stuff they use, because it gives a glimpse of what the demand is. Very enlightening about the society we live in.

That story about the Dutch diplomat is maddening! I've always said that I'd love to adopt a child. It's not that I can't have any (obviously:), I just think it would be a good way to help my family grow - good for us and for the child. The idea is that the child is YOURS, despite biology. How anybody could just toss out their child in this way just makes me sick. I hope their "real" children question this someday - why their parents can be so callous about family. It would serve them right.